It may not be a fun topic to discuss, but we need to talk about gambling addiction and responsible gambling. Gaming, alcohol, gambling. These are just some of the things we should do in moderation.
Some people are more prone to developing a gambling problem. Once discovered, it’s essential to deal with it as soon as possible. Our guide is meant to help you understand your gambling patterns and whether or not you might have a gambling problem. We’ve also included lots of valuable resources for easy access.
Problem gambling is something that develops over time. For some, it can be hard to notice that it’s happening, or hard to track in general. Of course, that’ll depend on the severity of it. If you’re losing a lot of money, overspending on gambling and using bill-paying money to spin online slots, you’ve got a problem.
Another tell is that you’re no longer playing for fun, but instead as a means of trying to pay bills or buy food, for instance. This is when addiction has taken shape which can severely affect your mental and physical health. If you recognize any of these signs, you should seek help immediately. Ideally, however, you’ll want to prevent yourself from even reaching this stage to begin with.
Responsible gambling resources
The following links can help you get started to fight or prevent a gambling problem. Make sure you pick the ones located in your country or state.
- https://ccpg.org/ (CT)
- https://www.ncpgambling.org/state/connecticut/ (CT)
- https://www.deproblemgambling.org/ (DE)
- https://www.ncpgambling.org/state/delaware/ (DE)
- https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/keep-mi-healthy/mentalhealth/gambling (MI)
- https://www.ncpgambling.org/state/michigan/ (MI)
- https://www.nevadacouncil.org/ (NV)
- https://www.ncpgambling.org/state/nevada/ (NV)
- https://800gambler.org/ (NJ)
- https://www.nj.gov/oag/ge/selfexclusion_bet.html (NJ)
- https://www.ncpgambling.org/state/pennsylvania/ (PA)
- https://www.pacouncil.com/ (PA)
- https://www.ncpgambling.org/state/west-virginia/ (WV)
What you can do to prevent it
There’s a lot you can do to prevent a gambling problem from developing. This will only work if you actually follow the steps below, and admit that problem gambling exists. You should also understand and accept that online casinos and gambling in general are meant as entertainment and not as a means of making money.
- Always prioritize your personal economy
- Create a reasonable budget specifically for gambling
- Never use money meant for bills or food
- Stop playing immediately if you’re feeling guilty about it
- Take breaks early and often
- Don’t chase potential losses
- Take a gambling test every couple of months
- Never hesitate to reach out for help
- https://www.begambleaware.org/do-i-have-gambling-problem (gambling problem test)